National Maritime Safety Association (NMSA)
(signed June 23, 2006; renewed September 4, 2008; concluded June 23, 2010)
Through the OSHA and NMSA Alliance, the organizations will work together to provide the association's members and others in the marine cargo handling industry with information, guidance and access to training resources that will help them protect employees' health and safety. The Alliance will particularly focus on intermodal container lashing issues and marine terminal traffic safety. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Work with OSHA to provide expertise in developing information on the recognition and prevention of workplace hazards, and to provide expertise in developing ways of communicating such information to employers and employees in the industry.
- Speak, exhibit, or appear at OSHA's and NMSA's conferences and events such as NMSA's Annual and Technical Committee meetings.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding NMSA best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by NMSA and through OSHA-or NMSA developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum).
- Promote and encourage NMSA's participation in OSHA's cooperative programs such as compliance assistance, the Voluntary Protection Programs, and the On-site Consultation Program and its Safety and Health Achievement Recognition Program.
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2006-2007, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2007-2008, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2008-2009, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances
- Alliance Annual Report 2009-2010 and Close-Out Report.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA, National Maritime Safety Association Renew Alliance. OSHA News Release, (2008, September 4).
- OSHA Signs Alliance with National Maritime Safety Association. OSHA News Release, (2006, June 23).
Products and Resources
- Container Lashing Safety Tip Sheet. Through the OSHA and NMSA Alliance, NMSA developed a safety tip sheet, which provides a quick refresher for Lashers and Lashing Supervisors prior to start of any lashing job. (2009, October).
- Generic Person in Water (PIW) Recovery Guide. Through the OSHA and National Maritime Safety Association (NMSA) Alliance, NMSA developed a guide addressing issues associated with person in water (PIW) recovery, including factors to be considered with developing a PIW response plan. (2010, November).
- Marine Terminal Traffic Safety Tip Sheet. Through the OSHA and National Maritime Safety Association (NMSA) Alliance, NMSA developed "Marine Terminal Traffic Safety Tip Sheet". The Tip Sheet provides marine cargo handling industry employers and employees with information on how to prevent traffic-related injuries and fatalities in a marine terminal. (2008, August.
- NMSA Fatal Facts Videos. Through the OSHA and National Maritime Safety Association (NMSA) Alliance, NMSA developed the following videos: Safety Video #1 - Longshore Worker killed by top loader; Safety Video #2 - Longshore worker killed during container loading and unloading operations; Safety Video #3 - Longshore worker killed by yard tractor tip-over; and Safety Video #4 - Longshore worker killed by container falling from ship. The videos provide marine cargo handling industry employers and employees with information on how to prevent vehicular and shipping container-related fatalities in a marine terminal. (2009, March).
Publications and Newsletters
- NMSA Semi-Annual Newsletter. (2006, July). This inaugural edition of NMSA's semi-annual newsletter includes an article, "NMSA/OSHA Safety Alliance," describing the June 23, 2006 Alliance signing and the goals of the agreement.