The Steel Group
(signed July 7, 2004; renewed August 26, 2005; renewed August 21, 2006; concluded July 7, 2007)
- American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI)
- Specialty Steel Industry of North America (SSINA)
- Steel Manufacturers Association (SMA)
Through the Alliance, OSHA and The Steel Group will work together to provide the steel manufacturing industry and others, including downstream manufacturers, with information, guidance, and mentoring that will help them protect employees' health and safety. The Alliance's goals include:
Outreach and communication
- Speak, exhibit or appear at OSHA's or The Steel Group's conferences, local meetings, or other events.
- Share information among OSHA personnel and industry safety and health professionals regarding The Steel Group's best practices or effective approaches and publicize results through outreach by The Steel Group and through OSHA- or The Steel Group's developed materials, training programs, workshops, seminars, and lectures (or any other applicable forum)
- Work with other Alliance participants on specific issues and projects that are addressed and developed through the Alliance Program.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Convene or participate in forums, roundtable discussions, conferences and stakeholder meetings on issues concerning injuries and illnesses that may occur in steel industry plants to help forge innovative solutions to these incidents in the workplace.
- Agreement signed July 7, 2004.
- Renewal Agreement signed August 26, 2005.
- Renewal Agreement signed August 21, 2006.
Alliance Annual Reports
- Alliance Annual Report 2004-2005, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Alliance Annual Report 2005-2006, Office of Outreach Services and Alliances.
- Close-out Report as of July 7, 2007.
Alliance News Releases
- OSHA Unveils Safety and Health Topics Page for the Basic Steel Industry. OSHA News Release, (2006, June 30).
- OSHA forms Alliance with The Steel Group. OSHA News Release, (2004, July 07).
Products and Resources
OSHA Safety and Health Topics Pages
- Chaparral Steel Case Study: MASH Program.. OSHA. (2005, December). Chaparral Steel's implementation of the "Manager Accountable for Safety and Health" (MASH) program was designed to educate the managers, supervisors and team leaders about OSHA compliance, safe work practices, and company-specific policies and procedures, and provide the tools needed to meet these requirements. As a result of the program, Chaparral Steel had under 75 OSHA recordables in calendar year (CY) 2004 with a frequency under 7, an improvement of about 50 percent from CY 2000.
- OSHA and The Steel Group Alliance and the Agency's Activities. Edwin G. Foulke, Jr., former-Assistant Secretary, USDOL-OSHA, presented an update on the OSHA and The Steel Group Alliance and the Agency's activities at the AISI Board of Directors and the Metal Service Center Institute's Executive Committee meeting at the Fairmont Hotel on Thursday, October 26, 2006 in Washington, DC.
- Steel Manufacturers Association's "The Refrigerator Door" video. Shows how old, discarded scrap becomes brand new steel, through the energy efficient electric arc furnace process.