U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Drive Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Mobile OSHA Area Office Annual Status Report
April 15, 2005
- Alliance Background: OSHA, GCMSA, and ALAPTA Alliance to provide GCMSA and ALAPTA members and
others in the maritime industry with information, guidance, and access to training resources that
will help them protect employees' health and safety, particularly in reducing ergonomic, as well as
slip, trip and fall hazards.
Date Signed: May 27, 2005.
Overview: All parties to this agreement are committed to sharing their collective expertise to help foster a culture of injury and illness prevention while sharing best practices and technical knowledge, especially in the area of slips, trips, and falls and in reducing and preventing exposure to ergonomic hazards in the maritime industry.
Implementation Team Membership: Representatives from OSHA, Alabama Chapter of the Physical Therapy Association, Gulf Coast Maritime Safety Association.
Contributors: Same as above.
Evaluation Period: May 27, 2004, through March 31, 2005
- Implementation Team Meetings: June 22, 2004; August 27, 2004; October 15, 2004; January 20, 2005; and March 8, 2005.
- Events and Products
Milestones Met in FY 2004/ 2005
Training and Education
- Alliance members developed power point presentations on slips, trips, and fall hazards in the
maritime industry. Also developed a presentation on repetitive motion injuries and illnesses
prevalent in the maritime industry.
Outreach and Communication
- Alliance members provided training presentations at the Gulf Coast Safety and Health Exp in Mobile
in March 2005.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- Promoted maritime industry health and safety issues, such as slip, trip and fall hazards, as well as ergonomic, through participation in the Central Gulf Coast Safety & Health Seminar and Exposition (EXPO). This activity raised the awareness of maritime industry health and safety issues throughout Mobile and surrounding communities.
- Alliance members developed power point presentations on slips, trips, and fall hazards in the maritime industry. Also developed a presentation on repetitive motion injuries and illnesses prevalent in the maritime industry.
Refer to the Training and Education events above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2005/ 2006
- Develop CD/DVD's on presentations to provide to maritime employers in the Gulf Coast Area.
- Develop a power point presentation on "Enclosed and Confined Spaces in the Shipyard" to provide to shipyards.