U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety and Health Administration
Mobile Area Office
1141 Montlimar Dr. Suite 1006
Mobile, Al 36609
(251) 441-6131; Fax (251) 441-6396
Mobile OSHA Area Office Annual Status Report
Wiregrass Alliance with Small Business Development Centers
February 7, 2007
- Alliance Background
January 21, 2003
OSHA, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, Troy State University Small Business Development Center, Houston County Emergency Management, and Wiregrass Chapter of the American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) formed the wiregrass alliance to promote safe and healthful working conditions for small business employers and employees in the Wiregrass Area. The group was joined by Durden Outdoor Displays, Incorporated, on August 16, 2005 and the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center July 20, 2006.
- Implementation Team Membership and Contributors:
Included in the Implementation Team are representatives from OSHA, Dothan Area Chamber of Commerce, Troy State University Small Business Development Center, Houston County Emergency Management, Durden Outdoor Displays, Inc., the Wiregrass Chapter of the ASSE, and the U.S. Army Combat Readiness Center.
These meeting were conducted as scheduled on:
- 1/26/06 - Training Course
- 7/20/06 - US Army - CRC Addendum signed
- 10/19/06 - Safe Day for Small Business
- 11/15/06 - Group Meeting
January 21, 2006 through January 21, 2007
- Events and Products
Training and Education
- In 2006 the Wiregrass Alliance sponsored classes in Dothan, Alabama, focused on the prevention of fall and electrical hazards, for small business.
- During this period a class was conducted on Disaster Site Worker Safety, to support the hurricane recovery effort in the gulf coast.
Outreach and Communication
- "Safe Day for Small Business" was held October 2006 with an estimated 135 attendees.
- In conjunction with the "Safe Day for Small Business" in October 2006 an Alliance member, Durden Outdoor Sign, posted several billboards advertising the event.
Promoting the National Dialogue on Workplace Safety and Health
- An alliance member, the Dothan Chamber of Commerce, has developed a safety section in the local office to provide information and materials to small business.
- Alliance participants have assisted OSHA by distributing outreach material, such as the spray-on bed liner hazard letters to members and small businesses in the Wiregrass area.
Refer to the events list above
- Upcoming Milestones in FY 2007
- Alliance members are planning to participate in the annual "Safety Day for Small Business" in October 2007. This year the event will focus on providing effective safety and health training to young workers, employed by small business.
- Alliance members are planning to develop a brochure to educate employers, educators, and young workers on safety and health rules.
- Alliance members will continue supporting the hurricane recovery effort by providing appropriate training to small businesses in the Wiregrass area.
- Alliance members are planning to support local technical schools by providing safety training to students and educators in the Wiregrass area.