- Synonyms: Acetyl methyl carbinol; 1-Hydroxyethyl methyl ketone; gamma-Hydroxy-beta-oxobutane; 3-hydroxy-2-butanone; 2,3-butanolone; Dimethylketol
- OSHA IMIS Code Number: A624
- (IMIS Name History: Acetylmethycarbinol prior to 1/28/09)
- Chemical Abstracts Service (CAS) Registry Number: 513-86-0
- NIOSH Registry of Toxic Effects of Chemical Substances (RTECS) Identification Number: EL8790000
- Department of Transportation Regulation Number (49 CFR 172.101) and Emergency Response Guidebook: 2621 127
- Chemical Description and Physical Properties:
- light yellow liquid
- molecular formula: C4H8O2
- molecular weight: 88.10
- boiling point: 148°C
- melting point: 15°C
- flash point: 50°C
Exposure Limits and Health Effects
|Exposure Limit||Limit Values||HE Codes||Health Factors and Target Organs|
|OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit (PEL)||Not established|
|National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) Recommended Exposure Limit (REL)||Not established|
|American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists (ACGIH) Threshold Limit Value (TLV)||Not established|
|CAL/OSHA PELs||Not established|
- National Toxicology Program (NTP) carcinogenic classification: Not listed
- International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) carcinogenic classification: Not listed
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) carcinogenic classification: Not listed
- EPA Inhalation Reference Concentration (RfC): Not listed
- Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR) Inhalation Minimal Risk Level (MRL): Not established
- NIOSH Immediately Dangerous to Life or Health (IDLH) concentration: Not established
- Notes on Other Potential Health Effects and Hazards
- Occupational lung diseases have been reported in workers in the microwave popcorn production industry. Several volatile organic compounds, including acetoin, are released from the butter flavoring (NTP 2007).
Date Last Revised: 9/6/2012
- NIOSH: Manual of Analytical Methods (NMAM), 4th Edition - Acetoin (PDF). March 2003.
- National Toxicology Program (NTP): Chemical Information Review Document for Artificial Butter Flavoring and Constituents Diacetyl [CAS No. 431-03-8] and Acetoin [CAS No. 513-86-0] (PDF). January 2007.
Monitoring Methods used by OSHA
Primary Laboratory Sampling/Analytical Method (SLC1):
- Two specially dried Silica Gel Tubes in series. Each tube has a single 600-mg 20/40 mesh section and a glass-fiber filter, the filter faces forward when sampling. SKC 226-183, or equivalent. Use an opaque tube holder or wrap tubes with aluminum foil or other opaque material while sampling.
- maximum volume: 9 liters
- minimum flow rate: 0.05 L/min for long-term sampling; 3 liters at 0.2 L/min for short-term sampling.
- note: Separate the two tubes and cap both ends of each tube as soon as possible after sampling. Individually seal the two tubes. Protect tubes from light after sampling.
- current analytical method 1: Gas Chromatography; GC/ECD
- analytical solvent: (95:5) ethanol:water with 2 mg/mL PFBHA reagent
- method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA 1012)
- method classification: Fully Validated
- current analytical method 2: Gas Chromatography; GC/FID
- analytical solvent: (95:5) ethanol:water
- method reference: OSHA Analytical Method (OSHA 1013)
- method classification: Fully Validated
** All Trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
*Accessibility Assistance: Contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300 for assistance accessing PDF materials.
All other documents, that are not PDF materials or formatted for the web, are available as Microsoft Office® formats and videos and are noted accordingly. If additional assistance is needed with reading, reviewing or accessing these documents or any figures and illustrations, please also contact OSHA's Directorate of Technical Support and Emergency Management at (202) 693-2300.
**eBooks - EPUB is the most common format for e-Books. If you use a Sony Reader, a Nook, or an iPad you can download the EPUB file format. If you use a Kindle, you can download the MOBI file format.Back to Top